“When business software is set up correctly and users are adequately trained, people will fully understand its capabilities and future possibilities. Business software should improve your company’s productivity and provide a strong information reporting structure.”
SELECTING SOFTWARE – TOP TEN QUESTIONS
Do you understand ‘Why’ your firm needs new software?
- What are the key deliverables and objectives (success criteria)?
- What is driving the search and where will there be some wins?
Do you understand each business users’ needs and requirements?
- What are the requirements for the users (executive group, marketing, product managers, accounting and external partners)?
Was a gap analysis created?
- What are the gaps between the current system (as-is) and your future system (to-be)?
- How easily can the information from your current system be migrated to a new package?
- How easy is it to implement a new system? What kind of support is there?
- Are there any advanced customizations required? Does the software support customizations?
How scalable is the business application?
- As your firm changes over time, can the business application change too?
- When choosing a package, imagine your firm 5 to 10 years from now?
- What is the future growth (life) of the application?
How easy is it to use?
- Allow the people who will be using the software to see and try out the applications.
- How well does the package interact with other software applications?
How well does the software fit your business?
- Does the application streamline or eliminate certain processes?
- Does the reporting provide more timely, accurate and “fit for use” information?
- How customizable are the reports? Are there tailorable business dashboards?
Is the business software application a major brand?
- Is there a strong company that will be around to provide regular updates and support?
- How old is the software?
- Is the software provider actively investing in resources and improving it or are they only maintaining it?
What are the other costs to consider?
- What are the network, server, database and workstations requirements and costs?
- How often are upgrades and how much do they cost to implement every year?
- Can you work from home, the hotel or anywhere away from the office? Is it mobile device friendly?
How strong is the sponsor or supporting partner?
- Your sponsor’s level of commitment and support can have the greatest impact on the success of the implementation. How knowledgeable and qualified does the supporting partner appear to be?
- Are they customer-focused? What experience do they have?
What is the best value for your money?
- Price is only one part of the equation. It is important to consider the quality of support, software provider and how well the software fits the business. This is a long-term investment.
Just remember we are here to help you evaluate. Just give us a call and we can walk you through our assessment to find out where currently are and where you need to be. Contact@PracticeERP.com